Thursday, February 7, 2013

Covenant Players, My Ministry


There has been a lot of discussion going on, about my ministry, which is a big part of who I am, who I have grown into. Some negative, some positive, some whiny, some divisive and rude, some pointless, and some pressing toward a point.

I don't want to talk about that, I want to share a bit more about what I actually do! For anyone that knows me and isn't quite sure. I want to share what it's like, and I want to ask you to pray for the future of it, for the people, for the opportunities, for the presence of God to fill every crack and corner.

I am a Covenant Player. I travel full time. I don't have a bedroom or a pillow. I don't have a guaranteed salary. I have never gone without because the Lord has always provided what I needed, and quite often, what I didn't even need, I just wanted!

I call (phone for the Brits that may read this!) a lot of people. I try to make contacts to new places, to share the ministry. When I call schools, I share how we want to encourage their English, and help them communicate about tough, relevant issues while doing it. Dealing with anger, respect, peer pressure, drugs, alcohol, making wise decisions for the future. When we aren't allowed to speak about the Lord, we respect that. When I phone churches, I tell them about how we want to help wake up the church, to use their gifts, to serve. I tell them about how we can do evangelistic outreaches such as dinner theaters to invite non Christian friends to attend.

I want to find out a way to contact prisons to share plays about forgiveness and peace and new life. I want to perform for homeless people to encourage them about hope and starting over.

Every few nights I travel with my team to the next place. I learn lines, in French and English. They are recorded on my phone and I listen and listen and repeat and repeat. We do devotions every day. We meet people and rehearse in churches and living rooms. We go to performances. We talk to people afterwards.

Covenant Players is about to turn 50 years old! It's an amazing number, and it's humbling to be a part of it, to think of all those people that paved the way. Pam Cowser, who went into Pastor's offices with a French/English dictionary to make the first contacts. The people who painstakingly translated plays. The people who went following a brand new vision and led to my coming, a scared to death 19 year old 7 and a half years ago.

I have seen many people come and go. Out of the 32 people that I have spent significant chunks of time with on the road, 13 are still in. I hold them all up with the highest respect- I mean, they lived and traveled with me! Especially those 10 in the States- man.

I have seen all kinds of people. Those who led with dilligance and cheerfulness, those who tenderly cared, those who didn't want to get too close, those that hid behind a veneer of professionalism and distance, those that hid full stop, those that were used to be taken for granted, those with low expectations, those depressed, those with ridiculously high expectations, those that worked too hard, and those that tried to find a balance. And, for two years, my husband and I shared leadership. Then I wanted to go back in time to really apologize to my old unit leaders!

I do have a point, not just in exposition. I heard a sermon that changed my thinking. I like life more with this simple thought.
On the cross, Jesus finished it. It is done. There is nothing we can do to add what he did already. He gives us the opportunity to have gifts and to use them for his pleasure. I don't have to keep the world going. Whatever I do, he will be there, and it's good. All of it.

So my ministry is going on a journey, literally and spiritually. I believe healing and refreshment is ahead, for those that left well, or badly, who carry scorn or disappointment, or confusion. It is finished. No human can ruin what God has made. One day he will wipe every tear, and we will be able to receive His forgiveness eyeball to eyeball. One day we will be able to forgive everyone that hurt us, seeing how small our forgiveness is in comparison to what we have already received.

Covenant Players is a vehicle, and serving has changed me and grown me. And it's still going because God is calling new people with passion and vision!

So fellow CPer's, or former ones, or family member, or random stranger on the internet- Just give up the burden, whatever it is- be it, not being good enough, or not getting enough results, or whatever. Enjoy life, enjoy what you do because it's a gift. Just be free and go on holiday with God in your heart because what we do is not what counts. It's what He did, and does.

Bless you!

P.S. If you want to read more about our 50 year celebration and how to be a part of it, see this great article written by a powerful lady I admire greatly.



1 comment:

  1. What an amazing journey it seems you are on, sharing your talents and praising Him!

    I looked up your blog after seeing you (I think it's you anyway!) on today's webinar. I hoped to check out more of the blogs by today's participants, and hope some will check mine out as well. http://losingaustin.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete