Saturday, April 25, 2015

A good reason to love Jesus

I heard recently that one of the main purposes of the Bible is to find reasons to love Jesus. On your own. Not because we are supposed to. Not because we are supposed to want to. To learn about Him and let His character and His goodness draw us to him.
I've been reading in Luke, and this thing has been rolling around in my head for the past couple of days. James and John, the sons of Zebedee went to Jesus, in private. They had a plan to get some honor, some recognition. They asked Jesus for a favor. They started with, "Teacher, we want You to do for us whatever we ask." (Mark 10:35) It doesn't get much more pretentious than that, right? We've been following you, we've given up a lot. We have the right to get something out of this.

(Now maybe I'm twisting this all up, but this is what I'm reading. If anyone thinks I'm way out of line, let me know. I'm willing to listen to other opinions)

They corner Jesus asking for a vague thing, and Jesus says what any parent would say if their child came to them and said this. "What do you want me to do for you?" (36)(Although if I were a parent it would come across more as, "What do you WANT?" with annoyed sounds.

I wonder if these guys were pushing the other to speak, if they were sweating, if they were nervous, or if they were confident of what they were asking. They asked, "Grant us that we may sit, one at your left side, and one at your right, in Your glory." (37)

Now I'm not going to write it all out here. You can read it for yourself. What I love is that Jesus doesn't use His authority to lay them low, and call them out on the idiocy of that request. He doesn't give them a Job "Where you there when the foundations of the earth were being laid?" speech. He doesn't make them feel stupid. He tells them that this request is not His to give.

And the others are greatly displeased when they hear of this audatiousness.

But do you know what greatly displeases Jesus? When children are being brought to Him, and the disciples rebuke those who are bringing them. Let the little children come to ME. When Jesus saw it, He was greatly displeased. I love a man who gets angry at people not seeing the worth and kingdom of heaven inside of children.



No comments:

Post a Comment