Tuesday, September 15, 2015

My baby is not an angel! Isn't that great?

There is a comforting thought, or just an expression that there isn't a lot of thought put into, at least by Christians, that babies that don't make it out of the womb become guardian angels. That babies or any close family member that passes away changes into this.

I don't begrudge non Christians who say this. A lot of them don't know better.

I'm sorry for the possible offense that may occur, but I'm not sorry for speaking the truth.
The biblical truth is this. Humans are humans. Angels are angels.

We humans are weak creatures created from dust and a rib. Angels are powerful, huge messengers and warriors and worshipers. Probably other stuff too, but that's enough for now.

Anyway, that's not what I want to focus on. I heard some great teaching yesterday, and it touched me so deeply. I will try to share, and I pray that it will make sense and touch someone else the way it touched me.

There is this thing that people believe. In order to be accepted by God, I have to be good. I have to make myself better than I am. The Isrealites were in captivity for 400 years to the Egyptions. When they were lead out of Egypt, they had no idea how to be a people. When Moses went up Mt. Sinai, the Lord said to him, I am The Lord YOUR God. Not The Lord The God. Yours. Personally.

He was personal. He chose this people that had done nothing for him, that didn't yet know what to do for him. He gave the rules as a sign of the acceptance that he had already given. Rules are for family.

At that first passover, he was saying, "I don't just want to be your law-giver. I want to be your Savior. Do this weird thing and just trust me. Paint that blood on your doors and trust me.

Being accepted and chosen is what so many of us long for. And even as Christians that have a lot of head knowledge, it is still possible for us to be steeped in a lie that if we were better, we would be heard more, we would deserve to be heard more, would be loved, would be acknowledged.

He already chose us. We don't have to do anything. What we do is stand in awe of the grace, and act out of gratitude. That's where the works come in.

And here is the big beautiful, wonderful thing. A baby can literally do nothing but exist. Grow. When those arm buds begin to separate into limbs, they dance. When that umbilical cord brings nutrition, they eat. All they know is to expect and receive.

The Lord chose them! They get to enter into heaven, no strings attached because they exist. Because the passover lamb was just a symbol for Jesus, and his death redeemed all of mankind.

An unborn baby can do less than the thief on the cross, and this life is cherished and glorious forever, beyond what we can think and imagine!

I choose to celebrate the life my baby is living. I know I will have emotional days, but that's okay. Mourning is okay. Crying is okay. It's natural and good.

Thank you Lord that Vuyo is a person in your kingdom. Thank you Lord that a part of my husband and myself is in heaven. Thank you that I am accepted because of what You did, and that I have the hope of meeting him or her.


No comments:

Post a Comment