Friday, December 14, 2012

A Dark World and Our Call in it.

A terrible thing happened today. Adults and children were killed, at a school. Families were separated, and who knows how many of them were attacked, and are now lost without real hope of a reunion?
There seem to be different camps. The people who say, "Why?", the people who say, "Gun control, already!", and the people who say, "Jesus!"

The why is as clear as evil can be. This world is a dark horrible place. The enemy has a strong hold on many people's minds, and he is getting nervous. He knows his time is almost up, and he's got a bit of power to reap his seeds of disorder and suffering and chaos.(But don't take him lightly people. Put on the armor, and be alert. Don't get obsessed, but don't be naive.)  I say a bit of power because OUR GOD is limitless. And he can bring healing, and something new and beautiful out of anything.

There is no point in putting our hope anywhere else, especially not in "the world getting better" anytime soon.
There aren't any laws that can make us any safer. There aren't any precautions that can save us.
If this helps us to remember even better that this world is not our home, then that is one good thing. If this increases our sense of urgency to tell people that Jesus loves them, and that there is a real deep hope that we can hold onto in the face of all evil and danger and fear and loss, then that is good. We are displaying his power in our lives by being faithful.

A few years ago, I was able to look at the old records of Covenant Players work in Colorado, and I found the record for Columbine High School. We didn't perform there. (as far as I can recall) And I was wishing, wishing we could have performed one of our plays about bullying, and looking at people for who they are, and what they might be going through. I wish we could have done one of our exercises about dealing with conflict and learning how to deal with emotions when you are so alone and overwhelmed by what you can't control, about being a friend to a person that no one else likes. I wished we could have been apart of healing and inspiration, of a simple act of kindness that could have changed things.

I recently had a difficult phone call. A pastor did not believe in my ministry because we go to many different churches. He didn't want to align himself with us for that reason. I was praying for wisdom the whole time, and I wanted to understand that point of view. He thought we watered down the gospel saying what people wanted to hear. It was really heart breaking to be judged, for one thing, but to hear someone be so against the unity of our brothers and sisters, that's a whole other can of beans. That was really a blow. I just really want to tell a LOT of churches- GET OVER IT. I speak in tongues, you don't. We can still serve the homeless. I perfer to sing songs where I can clap and sway, but I've learned to hold myself still when I go to the quieter churches so I don't draw attention to myself, because it's not what I want that counts, it's the worship of God that counts.

Now is the time for unity. For the church to love each other, each denomination, and to see what we can do together. Just because the world is not getting any better doesn't mean I'm resigned to that. Oh no, quite the opposite. For now, the Lord has called me here, to this ministry (where we are bold in the gospel, thankyouverymuch) where we plant seeds for the Holy Spirit in each place we go to, trusting in the Lord, and we walk each day in his hands, asking, "Where, Lord?"

A final reminder, if it wasn't already clear enough- the gunners are not the bad guys. Evil operated through them. But hold onto this-


For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places. Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. Ephesians 6:13

If we lose sight of that, if we profess to be Christians and ignore what Jesus said about unity and being the body of Christ, then we need to get right. We need to confess our hearts and be willing to let Him in and do something new. We need to be willing to be cleaned out and to not let our ideals and judgments and unforgiveness embitter us and everything we do. It will halt us. I have this picture of a person walking with baggage and going so slowly, hurting with every step. We aren't meant to be like that. 

Let's just get out there and look for ways to love people. That, simply put, is one of the main reasons we were put here. 

God bless you, my brothers and sisters in Christ. 

No comments:

Post a Comment