Friday, March 1, 2013

Covenant Players, the school experiance

I have run into many classrooms lately, shouting "Good Morning!" or "Good afternoon!" I have startled some, I have made some laugh, I have posed questions to make them think, and I have affirmed them about their thoughts, opinions, and English capacities.

I have done a lot of shushing. I have feet that hurt because my only professional shoes have heels. I'm waiting for the minor miracle of some comfortable shoes to come along.

I am stretched and sore, but I am satisfied. I really do love my job. One thing that is hard is that we do have to be careful about what we say, in schools. When students ask me, "Why do you do this?", I would so love to say that it is because I know there is more to life than money and things. Because the Lord called me, and sent me to you to tell you that you are important, you matter. Because I love to hear you laugh and to encourage you. Because the chocolate here in Europe is so much better than the chocolate in America. I usually end up saying a mixture of the "You are important and ......mmmmm chocolate."

There is a lot of energy that is used up in a school. I can connect with them because I'm so weird and energetic and happy that they just relax and have fun. My team is amazed about the way I can get people in their late teens to do the silliest things.

We have a backstage, which can be anything. Upturned tables, plants, janitor closets, any thing. We throw sweaters on and off, we blu-tac our plays on the wall and we place our costume changes in order. We jump or slump or yawn or flounce onto the stage and and another person pops out after the word "curtain" is called to go and discuss it.

It feels good to "be good" at something. It's nice to be in Luxembourg and to be able to speak German when it's easier for the next person than English.

It's amazing to see that the Lord has put so much into me and my unit. It's a good life.


No comments:

Post a Comment