Friday, March 8, 2013

The Pleasure of Impossibility

What a relief to say, "This is utterly impossible."

What a wonderful thing to say, and know, and be full of the knowledge that "I can't do this."

I love my job. I love doing impossible things. I love finding out all the things that I can actually do. I love talking to people and surprising them that anyone would be willing to do what I do.

I love believing that through the Lord, impossible things happen. I love being able to read and journal during French sermons because it's a great time to be able to do that!

I came across a lot of amazing verses the other day, and I want to highlight one half of one of them. 1 Peter 3:15a
..Sanctify the Lord in your heart.

I wrote into my diary- "What does that mean?"

I looked it up and this is just a snippet of a very long thing written by John Gill.

"..the Lord God is sanctified by his people externally, when they regard his commands, attend his ordinances, and call upon his name, and praise him; but here an internal sanctification of him, a sanctification of him in their hearts, is intended..."

Context is always important. I definitely don't want to take anything out of context, because finding someone who isolates verses can be quite dangerous. This is from a letter. And, pretty much 87% (made up statitstic- See, I am being honest!) of the new testament is telling people to Stand in the truth of what they have learned. To acknowledge the shortness of the our time here on this planet and to live with intensity and purpose in the now. Maybe it's higher than 87 %. The other chunks in the pie would be greetings, and uh....other stuff. It is the passion of Paul and Peter and John's (to name a few) heart's to impart knowledge, to remind us to love one another, just as Christ loved us. (I use the present tense because these men obviously still live, as they are a part of the great cloud of witnesses.)

To sanctify the Lord in our hearts seems to be a very simple, and at the same time, complex way to remember that. The eyes of our hearts, the thoughts no one see's, the deep part of us, connected to the forever and perfection that God is, well, hallowing and revering that. Counting our actions and attitudes as having weight and importance that lasts further than we do because we are representing His light and truth in our sphere's of influence. I intend to talk more about this theme, because it keeps jumping out at me, through the pages of my Bible. 

But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him. (Hebrews 11:6)

Look at the context of what you consider "impossible" in your life. Look at your faith. And please read those letters. Read them backwards and forwards so no one can ever quote something out of context. to you. Don't take my word for anything. Don't take anyone's word. Find it for yourself. Be built up and grow in that word so you can believe the Lord for the impossible. 

Be blessed in a mighty way, my brothers and sisters around the world!







No comments:

Post a Comment