Thursday, April 19, 2012

Two Passionate People

Luke 18:1-8
Then He spoke a parable to them, that men always ought to pray and not lose heart, saying; "There was in  a certain city a judge who did not fear God nor regard man. Now there was a widow in that city; and she came to him, saying, 'Get justice for me from my adversary.' And he would not for a while, but afterward he said within himself, 'Though I do not fear God nor regard man, yet because this widow troubles me I will avenge her, lest by her continual coming she weary me.'"
Then the Lord said, "Hear what the unjust judge said. And shall God not avenge his own elect who cry out day and night to Him, though he bears long with them? I tell you that He will avenge them speedily. Nevertheless, when the Son of Man comes, will He really find faith on this earth?


That makes me think of the father of the child who was demon possessed, who is heart broken by the torment of his child. He says, "...But if You can do anything, have compassion on us and help us." Jesus said to him, "If you can believe, all things are possile to him who believes." Immediately the father of the child cried out and said with tears, "Lord I believe; help my unbelief!" (Mark 9 22b-24)

Just think of the passion of these two people. That first woman, pounding on that door. "I have been wronged! This is not fair, and someone is going to do something about this. You are the judge. I don't care if you fear God or regard man! I'm a woman, and I may not have alot of power, but I do have a voice the power to disrupt your sleep until you do something for me. I do have the power to get all over your nerves, not just on them. I will be your shadow. I will wait for you because I have been WRONGED. Avenge me of my adversary. Avenge me. Avenge me now. Do you hear me, judge? AVENGE ME.

Think of this father. This child that he loved with all his heart was being tormented by a demon. This demon threw his baby to the ground, threw him into fire and water trying to kill him again and again. His child foamed at the mouth and wallowed like an animal with rabies. Tormenting thoughts probably gushing into his brain constantly, his voice stolen by liars, his ears stopped by liars. The burns, the scars, the abuse, the exhaustion, never knowing if his child would live to feel freedom again. This father was probably in as much of a need of healing as the child was, living through this. Think of his passion. He heard of some people that would be able to help. He probably didn't fully dare to believe that this nightmare could be over. These disciples tried, but couldn't. They couldn't. He probably didn't have many words left, just gulping out. They couldn't, but IF you can, please, have compassion. See the suffering. See the hell. Help us. I have absolutely nothing else to contribute, so if you can't do it, there's no hope. Jesus with all his authority rebuked the unclean spirit, saying to it, "Deaf and dumb spirit, I command you, come out of him and enter him no more!" Then the spirit cried out, convulsed him greatly, and came out of him.


This is such a dark place to live. And Christians, acknowledge it. Let's ask God to avenge us of our adversaries. Let's ask for our faith to be increased. Let's recognize sin's ugly face and do something about it.

The disciples, maybe in shame and or bewilderment asked Jesus why they couldn't cast it out. Jesus answered, "This kind can come out by nothing but prayer and fasting."

Matthew 24:41
Watch and prayer, lest you enter into temptation. The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is week.

The temptation today is to accept sin as a characteristic. To applaud and lobby for sin. To put the desires of the world above the word of God. To sink into the world. To not count the cost of being a Christian. What does that cost mean to you? What are you passionate about? Are you ready to get on God's nerves? Bazinga. You can't. Are you ready to ask him to grow your faith? Are you ready to...gulp....fast and pray? That's a particularly hard one for me. Ask my husband, I'm a grouch when I'm hungry. But if God gives me the strength, I can do that too. Hey, I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength.

Are you ready?



No comments:

Post a Comment