Friday, January 2, 2015

The Reconciliation Process

Dear World,

I'm sitting in the room that will be my bedroom for a few more nights, before my husband and I drive to  California. I'm thinking on processes that deserve a lot of thought, and a lot more space than just one open letter.
Earlier today, I heard a really great sentence. Reconciliation is a process, not an event. Isn't that a great quote. Desmond Tutu said that. We want events to solve our problems, so often. We want an easy fix. An impossible one. We want to feel better, for the pain to be numbed.

What we actually need is a Grinch heart-growing to happen. I think that is one of the best Christian metaphors in Christmas movies. (Yep, I'm talking about Christmas on the Second of January. Get over it.)

For reconciliation, our hearts need to be bigger than they have been. The pain of someone else needs to invade that space.

I went to dictionary.com (Love that site) And some of the definitions that really jumped out to me included, to cause (a person) to accept or be resigned to something not desired: (He was reconciled to his fate). and to bring into agreement or harmony; make compatible or consistant: (to reconcile differting statement; to reconcile accounts). and, to reconsecrate ( a desecrated church, cemetary, etc.)

To accept that something has happened, that is a fact of life. To bring into harmony is the call of a Christian in a lot of ways. To be a peacemaker. To sacrifice personal comfort and desires when called upon to help someone with a need. To admit a wrong, to ask for forgiveness, to give back in whatever way possible. To reconsecrate.

Reconsecrate. What a word. I couldn't resist. I went back there.  To Consecrate-is to make or declare sacred; set apart or dedicate to the service of deity: 
Each day, each moment is a chance to set ourselves apart for the Lord. To reconcile the hurting world to the heart of the one who can heal them.

 Paul wrote to the Romans in intricate detail about consecrating our hearts, and how our inner man is at war with the Spirit of God. Romans 5, check it out. 

I feel like there's a lot more I could say, but that I should leave it there, and maybe work on being a peacemaker in the real world outside of this screen. Our actions, words and attitudes are our choices of reconciling our hearts to God's will leading to life or our pitiful minds leading to selfishness (the slow death of relationship killing.)

Be blessed as you chew on these things and may the Holy Spirit let this make some sense!

You are well loved by your Creator, you know.


No comments:

Post a Comment